12 December 2008

Not friends yet...

Scully hasn't made friends with Abby yet. In fact, quite the opposite. Monday we spent a lot of time outside putting up the Christmas lights. From the time Christy left for work Abby was doing her barking thing in and out of the house. She wouldn't come near me and Scully. Scully just kept looking at her and looking at me as if to say, "Why's she doing that?" I explained to Scully that she wanted her people to come home and that Scully needed to get to know her so she would feel comfortable when they were gone. During the day Abby would get a little closer to us. I felt like it was a good day and we made some progress.

Tuesday I would take Scully out and just sit out there with her so Abby would see everything was alright. That afternoon Scully and I went for our walk. When we got home, Paul was pulling the car thru the driveway. Scully was all excited. Then Vickie came around the corner from the back yard and Scully ran over to her. I had just come out of the sun and my vision hadn't adjusted to the shade of the trees yet so what I didn't see was that Vickie was holding Abby. Abby went nuts trying to get away from Vickie and Scully went after her. It took my brain a few seconds to catch up to what was happening. I ran over and grabbed Scully's collar, twisted it and pulled her back. Abby took off and ran inside the front door. So much for all the work we did on Monday and Tuesday!

Vickie came over to let me know that Abby was okay, had calmed down and she even went out back to do her business. She said Paul wanted Scully to either be in the back field (her yard) or on a leash if she was in the shared yard. The bummer for me is that I can't just leave the door and the gate open anymore for Scully to be able to go outside when she needs to go. Scully was confused Wednesday after we did the pooper-scooping as to why I didn't let her walk with me to dump it in the trash. I reminded her it was her fault. If only she understood.

I figure with time Scully will get used to the fact that Abby isn't going anywhere and they will meet on good terms and be friends. At least, I hope so!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the best thing you can do is walk them both together - would have been the best way to introduce them, before Abby even moved in.

I hope it gets better ;-)

lgf said...

I wish I had known that before she moved in...that would have helped. Now with the attitude there (mostly from Abby) I'm not sure that will work.